Welcome to Champaign Unit 4 Family Information
Will we be able to keep brothers and sisters together?
Children residing at the same address who have the same guardian
will receive sibling preference. Each child must be listed on the
student registration form. Assignments for siblings will be based
on seat availability and Controlled Choice guidelines. A student
registration form must be completed for each child that is new to
the district or requesting a voluntary transfer. Every effort will
be made to allow siblings of a child who is participating in a
special program to attend the same school based on available seats
and Controlled Choice guidelines.
If we live within walking distance of a school, will we be
guaranteed assignment to that school?
Students living within the 1.5 mile walk limit (Proximity A) will be given preference over students outside the walk limit within SES and capacity guidelines. For over-chosen schools, initially 82% of the available seats will be assigned to siblings and Proximity A students within SES guidelines. Proximity B students are those who do not reside within the 1.5 mile proximity of any (Unit 4) elementary school. To ensure that Proximity B students have a chance to compete for their first choice schools, only 82% of the available seats in a school will be assigned to Siblings and Proximity A applicants. The remaining 18% will be filled by Proximity B applicants. This option applies only to first choice assignments, and in the event there are no Proximity B applicants, the available seats will be filled by Proximity A or other applicants.
Will my child receive transportation services?
statues require that transportation be provided for students living
more than 1.5 miles from their school assignment. In addition, the
district provides transportation for students living closer than 1.5
if the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) confirmed
hazardous walking conditions exist between home and school.
What will I need to register my child for school?
Proof of Champaign residence is required to begin the
registration process (i.e. Drivers License, Lease, Mortgage,
Voter’s Registration Card, Medical Card, Contract to build.
Mail or bills cannot be used.)
Student’s Certified Birth Certificate
Physical and Immunization Records
If you do not have your child’s birth certificate, current physical,
immunization, dental, or vision records when you come in to
register, that is okay. The records are due prior to the first day
of school, and the certified birth certificate is due within thirty
(30) days of enrollment.