National African American Parent Involvement Day (NAAPID) is February 13, 2023. Unit 4 School District invites our families to take part in special activities on that day. Some schools also have events planned for the week or throughout the month! Below is a summary of the activities happening across our campuses. Please contact your school for more information.
Classroom doors will be decorated with a Black History Month theme (i.e., books, biographies, Civil Rights Movement, etc).
- Monday, Feb. 13th: Book Reading & Lunch
- Family members are welcome to visit and read a story to their student's class. Parents who want to participate but can’t be in attendance are encouraged to record a video of themselves reading a book. Teachers will then play their video recording in class.
- Parents are also invited to dine with their students during lunch time.
Booker T. Washington
Students and staff will participate in Spirit Week. Each day will be different, but one of the days will allow everyone to rep their favorite HBCU (Historically Black Colleges & Universities).
- Monday, Feb 13th (11am-1pm): School Visit
- Families are invited to visit the school for various activities.
- Wednesday, Feb 15th: Guest Speaker
- There will be a featured Guest Speaker at the school for students, families and staff. Information about the presenter and topic will be provided by the school.
- Monday, Feb 13th: Wax Museum
- Come and enjoy some great history by some amazing students! This year’s theme is "Bring Your Change to Make a Change!!" During the exhibit, the "wax figures" will give a monologue when coins are placed in their cup (similar to a real machine in a wax museum). Any money raised will go towards an end-of-the-year field trip for the 5th graders, as well as a charity of their choice (please note: large bills aren’t required. Any loose change is acceptable). All family members are encouraged to come.
- Monday, Feb 13th: Breakfast with the Principal, Guest Reader & Featured DJ
- Morning Meeting (7:55am-8:30am)-Families can join their students in the classroom.
- Breakfast (8:30am-9:30am)-Principal Fuller Hamilton will provide the vision for Garden Hills, upcoming school events, and share student voices.
- Stop and Read (9:30am-10:30am)-Families can continue spending time with their students in the classroom to enjoy a special guest reader.
- Recess with Live Music (11:00am-1:00pm)-Families can join in on recess time with their students where live music will be provided by a community favorite, DJ Silkee!
International Prep Academy
Black History Month Trivia questions are shared every morning during announcements. The first class to call the office with the correct answer earns one dojo point, and the winner is announced! Additionally, all grade levels chose themes for Black History Month. They will use their selected theme to decorate their doors, halls, and other areas so parents can enjoy these great designs and achievement!
- Monday, February 13th: Book Reading & Scavenger Hunt
- Community members will visit classrooms and conduct a read-aloud about various African American topics. There will also be a scavenger hunt for students to identify and label innovations by African American inventors.
- Tuesday, February 28th: School Assembly
- Soul Night (5:30pm-7pm) Families are invited to visit the school to view the scavenger hunt, door decorations, and enjoy some food trucks! There will be a presentation from 6-6:30pm, with the rest of the evening slotted for an open house.
Stratton Academy of the Arts
- Monday, Feb 13th
- Parent Breakfast (9:30am-10:00am) Please enjoy breakfast with Stratton’s Scholars
- Guest Speaker (10:00am-10:30am) Special Guest, our very own Superintendent, Dr. Sheila Boozer, will be in attendance.
- Classroom Visits (10:30am-2:00pm)
- Family Art Night (6:00pm-7:00pm)
Franklin Steam Academy
Staff and students will celebrate by adorning themselves in Red, Green, Black and/or Gold throughout the month!
- Monday, Feb 13th: Meet & Greet (8:30am-9:30am)
- Families will have the opportunity to meet their student’s teachers. A light breakfast will be served in the library.
- Parents can also join their students in class and eat lunch together.
- Monday, Feb 13th: BHM Bingo & Raffle
- Attendees will receive a BINGO board that was created especially for them to become better acquainted with Jefferson Middle School and staff. Each "BINGO" will earn parents an extra ticket to go into a raffle for the movie boxes. Each box will have the parents introduce themselves to their child's teachers, visit certain locations, and seek out other school personnel.
- Families are also welcome to attend class and eat lunch with their child.
- Refreshments will be provided in the multipurpose room where it will be decorated in the BHM colors and other decor.